Fireplace Tips: (from HPBA)
Preventative Maintenance (Operating Your Appliance and Cleaning Up):
*Have the chimney inspected annually by a professional chimney sweep
*Install both a smoke and carbon monoxide detector. Make sure the batteries work.
*Have a cap installed at the top of the chimney to avoid debris or animals blocking the chimney.
*Have a technician check the gas lines, clean the burner and control compartment as well as check for condensation annually.
*Install a protective barrier to reduce the risk of burns by preventing direct contact with hot glass.
*Warn those around the fireplace that the glass could be very hot and supervise children, the aged, infirm or pets when in operation or recently turned off.
*Inspect your electrical cord wiring and plugs to make sure no metal is exposed.
*The cord or cable coming from the electric fireplace must never be run under carpet, throw rugs, floor runners, furniture or any appliances.
Before and During Operation:
*Clear the area of books, newspapers, and flammable materials. Three feet away is a good rule.
*NEVER burn garbage, rolled newspapers, charcoal or plastic, and NEVER use gasoline or any liquid accelerant to help start a fire.
*Seasoned firewood has around 20% moisture content and should be stacked and dried for a minimum of six months before burning. It is easier to light and will burn more readily and efficiently.
*If burning vent-free logs for more than an hour, crack a window open. If using vented logs, clamp your fireplace damper into the open position so it never closes.
*Be alert for unusual odors or flames, which are often a sign that the fireplace is not operating properly.
*Do not use an extension cord – they shouldn’t be used with high usage appliances.
*Never block the fresh air intake or vents discharging warm air. Air must move freely at all times.
*Don’t close the damper until the embers have completely stopped burning.
*Make sure the fire is completely out before going to bed or leaving the house.
*Store ashes in a non-combustible container and place the container away from the house.
*Wait for the appliance and glass to cool down before allowing anyone to get near it. Cool down can take a long time – an hour or more. Metal surfaces may also get very hot.
*Always unplug the electric heater when not in use. Do a double check when leaving.
Please make sure the moisture content in your fire wood is 20% or less. This will prevent less creosote, your doors from turning black, and the wood will burn more efficiently.